Monday, June 11, 2012

Rough Seas - June 11

Soon after we left Costa Rica last night, we started to experience the roughest seas of our voyage.  The poor students were attending a mandatory event in the Union where the waves are very pronounced.  Many of them went rushing out of the room.  Sleeping last night was not at all restful since the waves were forcing me from one side of the bed to the other all night long.  I was spared from the nausea that night and while I was in my cabin today but working in the library today was not a pleasant experience.  With the an increased roll in that area along with staring at the computer screen, I was not a happy camper.  Fortunately, I had ginger candy to chew on and I managed to maintain until I got back to my cabin.

Me and Anne
The timing of the increased waves couldn't have been worse because our fancy dinner and dance was tonight.  The best meal of the voyage and everybody was struggling not to turn green at the site of it!  We all got gussied up in our best clothes and met with friends in the dining room for the special dinner - complete with champagne.  We had a great time and did our best to ignore the pitch and roll of the ship.

Cici, Lauren, me, Andrea, Melanie, Anne
Anne and I took the opportunity to pose with several of our library student workers - unfortunately, we couldn't locate all of them last night so these are four of the seven students working with us in the library.  We have been incredibly fortunate to get these students - they've done a fantastic job for us!  We hope to get a picture of all of us together on the last day on the ship. 

The dinner was amazing and the crew serving us did a phenomenal job and rushed around like crazy to make sure we had everything we needed.  It was a great night and we all managed to forget the movement of the ship for a few hours.  But as soon as dinner was over, we all went back to our cabins rather than go to the dance afterward.  We just couldn't deal with that too tonight.  I think the dance would have been the downfall of a lot of people.

Tomorrow is our last class day which just doesn't seem possible since it marks the near end of the voyage.  This time has really flown by! 

No comments: